13/09/2008

Shop Goodies and Fudgey Brownies

Well my panic buying wasn't too too bad - there were plenty of packs of silken tofu on the shelf and at 2.20€ a pop I limited myself to 4. On my way to the shops though I stopped off at an Asian store I had never been to before and I'm so glad I did. I managed to pick up Nori Sheets for 2.90€!!! That's 4 euros cheaper than my local Health Food Shop charges! Sweeeet! Also scored some Raw Cashews, Mock Abalone (seitan fried gloop - YUM!), Coconut milk Powder (I have no idea what I'm gonna do with this but I'll think of something).
So it was an excellent start to the day! And also an excellent end to the day because I ended it making Brownies. At half past ten. YAY! Lots of people have been raving about this recipe here so I thought I'd give 'em a try and see what all the hype is about. And boy oh boy oh boy. Am I ever glad I did. These really are the most chocolateyest, fudgeyest, gooeyist brownies EVER! I adjusted the recipe, as you do, so I will post my take here for you. And I implore you all to try this - you will be smitten.
Fudgey Brownies 1/2 Cup Sugar 1 Cup All Purpose Flour 1/3 Cup Green and Black's Cocoa Powder (if you can't get this use the BEST quality Cocoa powder you can find - don't scrimp on this, 'kay!) 1 Tblsp Freshly Ground Flax Seed 1/4 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Baking Powder 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil 1/3 Cup Water 1 Tblsp Maple Syrup
Turn oven on 180 degrees. Liberally grease a baking pan, I have an oblong one that's 9 inches by 5 and was perfect for this. Place all the liquid ingredients in a bowl and give a good whisk. Place all the dry ingredients in another bowl and stir - DO NOT sift ANYTHING! MOVE AWAY FROM THE SIEVE! Add dry stuff to the wet and stir well. Place the mix in your pan - make sure it's even and pop in the oven for 20-25 mins. Bob's yer uncle and Fanny's yer aunt! I decorated mine with icing sugar, raspberries and mint 'cos I think it looks purrrty - but these babies don't need anything - they are scrummy as is.

1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

GAH!
Just found out my Coconut milk Powder has sodium caseinate in! Oh well...the boyfriend has assured me he'll use it so at least it won't go to waste.