18/09/2008

Asparagus Soup

A title to make the PPK'ers giggle for sure!
One thing I hate more than anything is waste. One thing I hate possibly more than waste is wasting food. I NEVER throw away food, if I have something that needs using I will use it. One thing I love more than anything is Autumn! And one thing I love more than Autumn is SOUP (OK I'll stop now). I find making soup to be so satisfying. The heathen in me likes the fact that everything is done in one big pot and soup making is kitchen witchery at it's finest. Soup is so good for using up left overs that I rarely make the same soup twice. They are varied and different each time depending on what veggies I have that need to be used. We had Asparagus the other night and I always save the bits of the spears that don't get used and make soup with them. Apparently they are tough and stringy but these characteristics are lost in the process of soup making. I always save the water after I've steamed any veggies as this makes wonderful stocks and gravies. I have lots of plastic tubs that I save for the sole purpose of storing this vegetable stock in the freezer and inevitably my freezer gets rather full up with them so soup making season started at the right time! I also had half an Aubergine (Eggplant) left in the fridge so that got chucked in as well. Some home made croutons and a fresh baked Ciabatta and you have yourself a very fine and filling meal in no time.Asparagus Soup serves 3-4 Ingredients Bunch of leftover Asparagus Stalks 1 Medium Onion, sliced into thin rings 2 Cloves of garlic, diced Half and Aubergine (Eggplant), chopped into cubes - skin and all 1 Litre of Vegetable Stock Bay Leaf 1 teaspoon Italian Mixed Herbs (Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Rosemary) 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil Salt and Pepper Heat the Olive Oil in a big saucepan, add the Onion rings and cook on a medium heat for 5 mins stirring every now and again. When the Onions start to turn translucent, add the Garlic, Asparagus stalks and Aubergine. Fry for another 5 minutes. Add the Vegetable stock and Bay Leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on. Remove the Bay Leaf and put the contents of the pan in the blender. Whizz for a few minutes until everything is smooth and there are no lumps. Transfer this back to the pan, add the Herbs and Salt and pepper to taste and heat through. Croutons Slice of Bread 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil 1 Clove of Garlic, diced Squeeze of Lemon Juice Cut the Bread into cubes. In a baking pan place the Olive Oil and Garlic and squeeze Lemon Juice over the top. Add the Croutons and toss so they are all covered in the oil. bake in a hot oven for 15 mins checking regularly and tossing a few times throught the cooking time. Sprinkle on top of the soup.

3 comments:

half pint pixie said...

We're huge soup fans here, especially "meal-in-a-bowl" type soups. This looks really yum!

Anonymous said...

You're a PPK'er AND an Isher?!?

We travel in small circles it seems ;)

Don't tell me... you're also a 'vegan freak'? I'm not yet ;)

Your soup looks very yummy btw, and I agree - autumn soups bring out the witch in me too!

Jen Treehugger said...

What user name do you use on PPK?
I'm hedge over there.
Look out for some more soup making shenanigans tomorrow.

Oooh and Happy Equinox!
:)