My Blog List

Heathen Vegan-ites

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...
10/01/2012

Book List 2011

Happy 2012 Y'all!
Tradition states my first post of the new year I share with you all the books I read last year.
Those marked with an asterisk are books I highly recommend.
If you're an avid reader and you like to keep track of what you read, read reviews, keep a wish list then you need to join www.goodreads.com. Thank you Cassie for letting me know about this AWESOME site.







The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
  Neil Gaiman*





The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
Bernard Cornwell





Bloody Women: Ireland's Female Killers
David M. Kiely





Crime
Irvine Welsh





The Backpacker
John Christopher Harris
*



Habitus
James Flint





The Lollipop Shoes
Joanne Harris





Starter for Ten
David Nicholls





On Green Dolphin Street: A Novel
Sebastian Faulks





Property
Valerie Martin





Past Mortem
Ben Elton





Silas Marner
George Eliot





The Fry Chronicles
Stephen Fry





The Diary of a Young Girl
Anne Frank *







A Long Way Down
Nick Hornby





Pigs Might Fly
Mark Blake *





Death and the Penguin
Andrey Kurkov





Nick Drake: The Biography
Patrick Humphries *





We Need to Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
Lionel Shriver *





Chapter and Verse
Colin Bateman





The Abomination
Paul Golding *





Night of the Toxic Ostrich
Nick Revell





The Road to Nab End
William Woodruff





My Booky Wook
Russell Brand *





The Tesseract
Alex Garland





Blonde Bombshell
Tom Holt





Man and Wife
Tony Parsons





Somebody's Husband, Somebody's Son
Gordon Burn *





A Thousand Splendid Suns
Khaled Hosseini *





One for My Baby: A Novel
Tony Parsons





Are You Dave Gorman?
Dave Gorman *





Ghost Stories (Popular Classics)
  M.R.James





For the Love of My Mother
J.P.Rodgers





If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
Jon McGregor *





Human Traces
Sebastian Faulks





Fingersmith
Sarah Waters





Girl with a Pearl Earring
Tracy Chevalier *  

11 comments:

GiGi said...

I'm a sucker for booklists! I've read a few of these...the Nick Hornby, I quite liked, Anne Frank,Silas Marner (a chore)and I love the author of Kite Runner. Did you find 1000 Splendid Suns depressing? Thanx so much for posting. I write my books down so I remember what I've read.
I've posted a list on FB.

Jeni Treehugger said...

Hey GiGi, I found Silas Marner a chore too, until around page 80 and then it totally enthralled me - I LOVED it.
I've just got a copy of The Kite Runner and I can't wait to start reading it, 1000 Splendid Suns is very sad, it had me crying numerous times but I love it so much because it is such an insight into Afghanistan before the Taliban rule, something that I hadn't thought about before I read it. It was my favourite book of last year and I highly recommend it. Just have a hanky at the ready.

GiGi said...

Ooh maybe I'll try both again. I loved Kite Runner. I read half of 1000 Splendid Suns, I started to get upset with that mean shifty husband!!! And I put it down. Probably one of the reasons we're vegan, just feel things so viscerally!

wingraclaire said...

Wow! I love your lists every year!!! This summer I read Fingersmith and Girl with a Pearl Earring while in China. I keep meaning to read Silas Marner. I just read four books - The Help, The Hunger Games, Galapogos (Kurt Vonnegut) and Sing You Home - over winter break. Right now I am reading Room and it's really good but it's creeping me out. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Emily said...

Thanks for posting such great book-spiration!

If you get a chance, you MUST see the film version of We Need to Talk About Kevin. It's absolutely one of the best movies I've seen in years and I don't say that lightly at all.

Carrie said...

Oh wow, I have never heard of that site, it sound so neat, signing up now!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Room is on my wish list Claire! Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favourite authors, Galapagos is a the first book of his I read :)

Emily - I'm looking forward to the film, I just hope it does the book justice.

Carrie - add me to your friends list :)

Anonymous said...

спасибо за интересную информацию

Lovlie said...

I haven't been reading much during the past year but this year I've started on The Lord of the Rings! Can you believe this? I have never read this book before, I'm so ashamed! But it's never too late!
And it's been ages since I last visited your blog. How time flies! I love the re-design btw! Very cute and girlie! I like that! :)

See you around on the blogsphere!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Lovelie Lovelie beautiful butterfly it's so good to see you. YAY!

Farrah P said...

What a great list! I love love love A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby! One of my favorite books and writers.